- Do not sign document until you are in the presence of the notary. Acknowledgment Certificate is okay to have been signed years ago.
- Completely fill in all blank spaces in document before notary arrives – but do not sign! Cannot notarize incomplete documents!
- If you have questions about how to complete the document, contact the person who drafted or requested the document. A Notary Public is unable to provide legal advice or assistance in the drafting and/or completion of documents.
- Every signer must physically appear, be coherent and present acceptable ID at the time of the notarization.
- Original documents must be presented for all Copy Certification.
Vital records (birth, death and marriage) cannot be notarized. Click here for a full list of documents that cannot be notarized.
- Know which Notary Certificate you need. A notary cannot give advice on which one to use. Click here for more information on this subject.